Friday, April 18, 2014

Sim Bhullar .The next Yao Ming?


Me and just about every other kid growing up thought we could end up in the NBA. Back then we all expected our growth spurts to kick in soon and we would easily be the next generation of Jordan. Maybe for you, a different reason made you come to terms, but for me it was not making the high-school team because I simply was shorter than anyone else. I had point guard abilities till I played against bigger point guards. So instead, I participate in pickup games and scream my lungs out for the Heat when they play. My love for the game is why I got excited when I saw video of Sim Bhullar and his brother Tanveer a few years ago.  Here was the Brown Yao Ming being helplessly tall and full of potential. Fast forward to a few days ago, when Sim declared for the NBA Draft. Terrible decision? Yes because first and foremost the NBA is now position-less and more athletic. There was a time when NBA teams would pick a Center to build its franchise around. Look at Centers today. Dwight Howard didn’t even start for the West All-Star team, and Bhullar is nowhere close to Dwight. Which leads me to my second point, conditioning. Bhullar is incredibly out of shape for his size and may get injured 2 games in. Being 7 foot 5 is rare but being 7 foot 5 and 360lbs is useless considering once he gets up to half-court, he will have to play defense again. That’s my 2 reasons why he won’t get picked in the NBA Draft. Not only is Bhullar is project, but he’s one that looks destined to do good only in the D league. Sim Bhullar isn’t the next Yao Ming. He’s the next Hamed Haddadi.   

No comments:

Post a Comment